Sent to you by dinesh via Google Reader:

 
 

via kksblog.com by hina on 11/28/11

(Kadamba Kanana Swami, Radhadesh, Belgium, 2011) Lecture – BG.15.3-4

I have a story about Andre who lived in Amsterdam. Andre was an unusual person, because he was bold. When other people were holding back, Andre didn't. Andre went to see the director of the biggest chain store (the big multi storey warehouses that are all over the country). He went and said to the director:

"In your book department, you do not have any books by A.C. Bhaktivedenta Swami Prabhupada. That's not correct. You should have them!"

And the director said:

"You know, you are bold! No one has ever walked into my office like that! I like you. I'll take them!"

And he put all the books …..full set of Prabhupada's books on the shelf of the chain store".

He was bold. He got himself from the society… a house for 'food for life', and like that Andre was extraordinary, but he had another side – his dark side. He was a little weak on the regulative principles and was living in Amsterdam, which is not a very safe place if you are having difficulties of that nature.

So I heard at one point, when I was in India, that Andre got AIDS. I happened to be coming through to Netherlands, and they told me:

"He's very ill now, and that these were his last days and if you wish, you can go to see him."

So I went to see him in a special clinic. When I was there, he coughed a ball of mucus…the size of the tennis ball came out! I couldn't believe it! Then he said:

"I like your singing."

So I said:

"Thank you very much."

He said:

"Can you sing on my funeral?"

I didn't know what I to say. I could say no, but I was thinking that it was best to get out! I was thinking:

"Do I have to stay here? I was meant to leave in three days".

Anyway he did leave his body very quickly, and I did make it for the funeral. It was an amphitheatre, and on the stage there was a box. So they asked me to start the kirtan. But before that someone had read out a letter, that Andre had written, which said:

"So all of you are my friends. You all think that I am dead, but you are wrong! I'm still alive and I'm still around. All of you are my friends, and all of you are very different, since you have all come from very different backgrounds. But for today for my sake, I want you to all appreciate each other. Now in a few moments, some of the Hare Krishna movement will come forward and will start to sing the Hare Krishna Maha Mantra, and I want all of you to sing along…..and not a little bit, but from the heart! Afterwards, there will be a feast served in my honour at the temple and you are all invited!"

So that was all read. So they started singing….and really got into it, and there was this big lady who started to sing in an operatic style! Of all the things….god not like that! The kirtan ended in twenty five minutes, and we got the signal to stop as per our agreement. As I stopped, they played 'Govinda' on tape and then the box sunk into the stage and below the stage they burn the box! The people cracked….they cracked. When the tune 'Govinda' was heard, they fell into each other's arms and they emotionally just cracked. After that one said:

"We never went to a funeral like that!"

Actually Andre had forgotten to mention that in his last days, he got initiated by P.D. Govinda Maharaja….just as a last thing and that was when he became Madhan Gopal…..so Madhan Gopal Ki Jay!

Yes, I always thought that he struggled, but he really did something at the same time, and it really did attract the mercy. Of course, it is best not to struggle and to just take shelter, and one who faithfully takes shelter is doing a great thing. But still we cannot become complacent. We must give ourselves with our heart and do something…do something….especially us!


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

Share/Bookmark

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati