Sent to you by dinesh via Google Reader:

 
 

via Bhava Bhakti devi dasi by Bhava Bhakti dd on 18/12/09


Amara Jivana (This Life)




By Shrila Bhaktivinoda Thakura




amara jivana, sada pape rata,


nahika punyera lesha


parere udvega, diyachi je kata,


diyachi jivere klesha (1)




Throughout my whole life I have been addicted to sin, never performing any pious activities. I have simply been a source of disturbance and suffering for others.



nija sukha lagi', pape nahi dari,


daya-hina svartha-para


para sukhe duhkhi, sada mithya-bhashi,


para-duhkha sukha kara (2)




For my own pleasure I never fear to commit any sin. I am devoid of pity and full of selfishness; I'm sorry at others' happiness and am an inveterate liar. Indeed, I take delight in others' miseries.



ashesha kamana, hridi majhe mora,


krodhi dambha-parayana


mada-matta sada, vishaye mohita,


himsa-garva vibhushana (3)




Endless are the selfish desires in my heart. I am prone to anger and devoted to arrogance. Intoxicated by conceit and deluded by attraction to sense pleasure, I ornament myself with pride and envy.



nidralasya-hata, sukarye virata,


akarye udyogi ami


pratishtha lagiya, shathya-acarana,


lobha-hata sada kami (4)




Afflicted by laziness and sleep, adverse to pious activities, I delight to perform any harmful act to obtain name and fame. I am very adept in duplicity, always lusty and degraded by mundane greed.





e hena durjana, sajjana-varjita,


aparadhi nirantara


shubha-karya-shunya, sadanartha-mana,


nana duhkhe jara jara (5)




Being such a miscreant and rejected by saintly persons, I have become a repeated offender. I never do good deeds but am inclined only to bad habits. Thus, I am oppressed by so many miseries.




vardhakye ekhana, upaya vihina,


ta'te dina akincana


bhakativinoda, prabhura carane,


kare duhkha nivedana (6)




Now in old age I am rendered helpless, reduced to a fallen and destitute condition. Bhaktivinoda presents his sad case at the feet of the Lord.



 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

Share/Bookmark

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati