First visit to Australia

Sunday, 9 May 1971

For the residents of the Sydney temple, Srila Prabhupada's arrival was a confused affair. An early telegram detailed Srila Prabhupada's proposed visit to Sydney, via Malaysia. Only arrival dates and times needed to be confirmed.

As it turned out, Srila Prabhupada had arrived in Malaysia a little later than planned, and to make things even more complicated, while in Kuala Lumpur there had been talk about a couple of devotees in Singapore wanting Srila Prabhupada to come and visit them there. This possible diversion to Singapore would have meant a later arrival date for Srila Prabhupada, so somebody had sent a telegram to the Sydney temple reading "Prabhupada not coming now". The wording of the telegram was intended to mean that Prabhupada was not coming now, but later. The devotees in Sydney had misconstrued that this meant that Srila Prabhupada was not coming to Sydney at all. They were understandably disappointed.

It had been too late to arrange any program in Singapore. Srila Prabhupada's party had headed off for Sydney, preceded by another telegram announcing that Bali-mardana was coming, and yet another, stating "Arriving", accompanied by a time of arrival and signed "Bali-mardana". Devotees had speculated that this meant that Bali-mardana was coming instead of Srila Prabhupada.

But when Caru rang the airlines early in the morning to check on Bali-mardana's arrival time, he discovered that two other passengers were travelling with him -- Vegavan and A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.

Caru hastily broke the news to the devotees, whose confusion quickly turned to elation, then panic. The blue Volkswagen Kombi van screeched down the street to the airport.

- - -

The devotees, none of whom had ever met their spiritual master, waited nervously in the crowded terminal. Occasionally, they jumped, straining for a fleeting look at Srila Prabhupada as the Customs doors quickly opened and closed.

Philip: As I jumped up, I would catch brief glimpses of Srila Prabhupada as he stood at the Immigration desk. He appeared grave, yet radiant and golden in complexion, with his white attace case in his hand and a lightweight grey chaddar folded over his shoulder. He seemed to be patiently waiting for something.

Srila Prabhupada was, in fact, waiting for Vegavan who was held up at Immigration.

Vegavan: When I arrived at Immigration, my worst fears were confirmed. They told me that there was no way they were going to let me into Australia, because I did not have a visa. I protested, so they sent me to a special room to speak to the head of the department. I pleaded with the man that I was married to an Australian girl, so he asked me for my marriage certificate. I told him that I didn't have one, but that recently I was married in India at a special ceremony presided over by my spiritual master. Then I remembered that I had the photographs of my marriage at the Cross Maidan, so I showed him those. The man had seen Srila Prabhupada as he had come through Immigration with his valid visa and had seemed very impressed with him. So even though I had no visa, the man stamped my passport "indefinite stay" which was in itself quite unusual -- in fact, unheard of. When I went back to the Immigration barrier, the man behind the desk was incredulous. He couldn't believe it, but I could understand that this was Prabhupada's potency.

Sheryl: Caru had warned the ladies not to scream when Srila Prabhupada came through Customs, but of course when he suddenly appeared we all jumped up and down and screamed. Then we bowed down, most of us prostrate. Some devotees simply laid down on the airport arrival lounge floor and didn't get up, and Srila Prabhupada's way was obstructed. We had to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to move. We were so thrilled to see Srila Prabhupada.

Caru: I remember I was so enthusiastic about seeing my spiritual master for the first time that, when he came through the Customs gates, I offered my obeisances so vigorously that I banged my head on the floor. I was pretty much half-conscious for the rest of the day. I think I even gave myself some sort of mild concussion. I was only semi-conscious, and I don't know whether that was due to the blow on my head or the delirium of having Srila Prabhupada here with us.

A jubilant kirtana started up as Prabhupada, now garlanded with flowers and looking healthy from his eight months in India, proceeded to the press lounge. Caru had hurriedly arranged for a conference only hours before, and a few reporters and photographers now quickly followed the party to the lounge.

A reporter enquired from Srila Prabhupada about his background and why he was now coming to Australia.

Prabhupada patiently explained that there were four orders of life: brahmacari -- celibate life, grhastha -- family life, vanaprastha -- retired life, and finally sannyasa -- renounced life. Prabhupada pointed out that he was in this final stage of life and his business was to spread Krsna consciousness throughout the Western world on the order of his spiritual master. Krsna consciousness was a great spiritual movement, he stressed, and the leaders of Australia should come to hear his message.

After a few more questions, the conference was over. Accompanied by more melodious chanting, Prabhupada proceeded down the long corridor to the exit. He appeared to the assembled devotees just like they had seen him in the Back to Godhead magazine -- only even more regal, aristocratic and effulgent. He walked, looking straight ahead, quickly followed by devotees, many of whom were still stunned by the shock of seeing their spiritual master for the first time. Some cried, holding their hands together reverently in pranams.

Bali-mardana, with one arm carefully embracing the tightly-wrapped Deity of Krsna, stood close to Prabhupada's side. Straight behind, Vegavan carried the Deity of Radharani. Prabhupada emerged from the automatic glass doors into the bright sunlight. Bamboo cane in his right hand, white travelling bag in the left, Prabhupada walked purposefully to the waiting vehicle.


- From "The Great Transcendental Adventure" by HG Kurma Prabhu


= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Disclaimer:
This is not a spam. If you want to be out of this distribution list. Please send a mail to krpamaya_gauranga@hotmail.com with the word "UNSUBSCRIBE" in the subject line
If you want to introduce anyone else in reading Srila Prabhupada Nectars, please send their eMail addresses to krpamaya_gauranga@hotmail.com
Contact Information:
All mails regarding queries, suggestions, comments should be sent to krpamaya_gauranga@hotmail.com
Please Chant: Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare And Be Happy


Share/Bookmark

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati