About Padyavali

Starting chanting the Maha-mantra Hare Krsna on my own, (with no beads) and following the regulative principles because of a book I was given in a park at a very young age "The Teachings of Queen Kunti" what a marvelous way to surrender to complete dependence on the almighty! The perfection of poetic expression! I thought, and just the right book for me to be able to digest...
At this time I still didn't know that devotees had a center around there, actually very close to Chapultepec park and close to the zoo also where I was given the book. this great soul mataji, after learning I didn't have any money, she still let me have it.
(One section of Chapultepec park is now a holy dhama since Srila Prabhupada was there and devotees chant japa regularly there too)

Until one glorious day, when I finally met the devotees in Harinam... Me and my friends where hanging around in the streets, like most days, no particular place to go and not a productive thing to do really, just barely living and at the same time thinking what a great life this is!

It was mumbled at first, due to the everyday roar of downtown in the biggest city in the world (in that time) Mexico City... I kept on following this sound, thinking: 'I know I've heard this before somewhere' but still barely making out the words in the crowded streets... soon it began to make sense, little by little, yes, those were the words I have been chanting all along! only this time they were accompanied with a very particular and catchy tune... lala lala, lala lala etc... And then they were, flying sikhas in all their splendor! saffron robes, colorful saris, and mrdangas! Wow! what a sound!... I've always liked percussions, drums was my thing! (my sister is a concertist)

I immediately joined the party, before the bewildered eyes of my young friends that were hanging out with me... they surely thought I've had gone mad for sure this time, just by the look on their faces, and I'm thinking: "this is highly embarrassing for them" but since they've always thought I was a weirdo anyways, I knew I had nothing else to loose anymore...

Poor kids! They've been putting up with my eccentric personality for way to long: always reading 'weird' books instead of the usual: pop and magazines I supposed... countless hours secluded in a library while I see them playing outside and taping on my window so I can come out and play... and even tolerated my recently acquired habits: new diet, new philosophy, and the most unusual habit of all, the habit of always repeating this strange combination of foreign words: hare krsna hare krsna krsna krsna hare hare. hare rama hare rama rama rama hare hare... and now THIS!... it was to much to bare for their young minds... they were truly; mortified...

Seeing me jumping up and down in front of the "Palace of the Fine Arts" El Palacio de las Bellas Artes in Spanish (frequented mostly by intellectuals) in downtown Mexico City and surrounded by all these saffron sheet-wearing-weirdos putting on the most unique dance show and surrounded by all these people that by now they were already pointing at me, laughing at me (perhaps thinking I was high on something)... I had to admit; it was quite socking... and it was indeed to much, to much for them to bare!

So they inconspicuously tried their best to withdraw themselves from me as not to be identified or been alienated with me... to late... devotees stop them faster than they could run and started dancing around them too... it was quite a sight to see how their faces turned very rapidly from pale to red in a split second... they had their share of mercy too, only they didn't know it yet

After kirtan, I was invited to go visit the temple and since I didn't want to lose anymore time I handed out my bike to my friend and jumped in the Harinam van with my backpack, before the now bewildered devotees... they were just looking at each other not knowing what to do with me, and then I've noticed that at one point they all looked at a very tall figure holding a saffron stick... (I was hoping he won't beat me with it) but this very tall devotee (Guru Prasad Svami) simply smiled at me, and I knew then I got away with it... (GPS, I later found out, had just came back from Brazil where he had just taken sannyasi) something about him made me feel extremely comfortable and peaceful and I knew right away he was a very special person and that I was safe. (Later on, he became my well-wisher and the only father I've ever known, took me under his wing and played a big role in me staying in the ashram at such a young age)

So, at this point, I told my friends I was coming back soon (a white lie) but they knew me better than that, so they went and told I had 'run away with a bunch of shaved heads, (pelones in Spanish) wearing sheets.'

When I arrived at the temple, for the first time in my life! and I was able to see the magnificent beauty of Sri Sri Radha-Madana-Gopal; I knew right there and then, that I had found my real home... I stayed for the evening programs, ate prasadam, and remain in the temple room even after all other visitors were gone.
Brahmacaris didn't know what to do with me and directed me to the head Sankirtana mataji that was living for the ashram and she let me stay in the ashram that night - probably thinking I was a homeless child (there are plenty in such a big city as Mexico city.)

And I was indeed; literally homeless, I didn't have a home, I choose not to... I wasn't living with my family anymore, my situation at home was unbearable and recently run away, I stayed with different people that I found in different schools of thought, (I went to plenty) anywhere from spiritualism, mediums, healers, mysticism etc., that kind of thing...

That is why it was so easy for me to understand Srila Prabhupada's book of "The Teachings of Queen Kunti' because she describes so many pains and tribulations, indeed, my own language...

I stayed in the ashram that night... and the night after... and the next... and never left for the streets again or back home... I was fourteen at the time... young body, old soul...

I take the dust of the feet of all those Sankirtan and Harinam devotees that no matter what, always go out there and deliver these souls day after day with determination and full compassionate heart... I humble myself to these great souls.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
Share/Bookmark

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati