Sri Cauragraganya-purushashtakam

An ancient song by an unknown Vaisnava

vraje prasiddham navanita-cauram
gopangananam ca dukulao-caurama
neka-janmarjita-papa-cauram
cauragraganyam purusham namami

I offer my obeisances to that supreme thief, Lord Hari, who is the best of all thieves. He steals the butter from the houses of the damsels of Vrajabhumi. He steals all the garments of the damsels of Vrajabhumi. He is famous for His acts of stealing. He steals all the sinful reactions of His devotees. Such a great thief! I offer my obeisances to that supreme thief.

sri-radhikaya hridayasya cauram
navambuda-syamala-kanti-cauram
padasritanam ca samasta-cauram
cauragraganyam purusham namami

He steals the heart of Radharani. He steals the blackish hue of the dark cloud. He steals everything. For those who take shelter at His lotus feet, He steals everything they have. He takes all of their possessions, their material assets, money, and men. He even steals their mind. I offer my obeisances to that great thief, supreme thief.

akincani-kritya padasritam yah
karoti bhikshum pathi geha-hi
namkenapy aho bhishana-caura idrig
drishtah sruto va na jagat-traye 'pi

He takes away everything from those who take shelter at His lotus feet. He takes away their material wealth, their wife, their children, and their kith and kin. He takes everything. Then those persons become paupers, like beggars on the street with no house, no hut, nothing. Such a great thief, who steals away everything. I have not seen or heard of such a great thief, supreme thief, in all the three worlds. I offer my obeisances to that supreme thief.

yadiya namapi haraty asesham
giri-prasaran-api papa-rasina
scarya-rupo nanu caura idrig
drishtah sruto va na maya kadapi

Such a great thief! If one only hears His name He takes away all their sinful reactions. I have never seen or heard of such a wonderful thief! I pay my obeisances to that supreme thief.

dhanam ca manam ca tathendriyani
pranams ca hritva mama sarvam eva
palayase kutra dhrito 'dya caura
tvam bhakti-damnasi maya niruddhah

O great thief! Stealing all of our assets, bank balance, money, land, property, prestige, fame, senses, mind, heart, and everything, You are running away! Where are running? I will catch hold of You! You are such a great thief, but now You are caught! I will bind You with this rope of love! Where will you go now, great thief, running away and taking everything? You are bound up with this very strong rope of love! You cannot run away now!

chinatsi ghoram yama-pasa-bandham
bhinatsi bhimam bhava-pasa-bandham
chinatsi sarvasya samasta-bandham
naivatmano bhakta-kritam tu bandham

You may cut off the rope of Yamaraj; You may cut off this material bondage. But You cannot cut this bondage of love. Now You are in bondage. I have bound You up!

man-manase tamasa-rasi-ghore
kara-grihe duhkha-maye nibaddhah
labhasva he caura! hare! ciraya
sva-caurya-doshocitam eva dandam

O great thief Lord Hari! I am putting You in the very dark prison house of my heart! This is the right prison for You! I am putting You here forever! This is the proper punishment for Your act of stealing! Stay forever in this prison house of my heart! I'll never release You!

kara-grihe vasa sada hridaye madiye
mad-bhakti-pasa-dridha-bandhana-niscalah
tvam krishna he! pralaya-koti-satantare 'pi
sarvasva caura hridayan-nahi mocayami

Now I have bound You with the rope of love and put You in the prison house of my heart! Stay there, stay there, stay there! You cannot get Yourself free from this very tight bondage! O Krishna! You have stolen everything from me—my material name, my fame, my beauty, my reputation, my kith and kin, my family members, my heart and mind! This the proper punishment for You, to remain in this prison house of my heart, bound up very tightly with the rope of love, forever and forever! If crores of pralayas come, still I won't release You! This is suitable punishment for such a great thief as You!


Share/Bookmark

These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • Sphinn
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Mixx
  • Google
  • Furl
  • Reddit
  • Spurl
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati